One man went to a New Braunfels hospital with burns to his body Tuesday afternoon as firefighters from several area departments battled a blaze at the man’s home.

No one else was injured, said Bryce Houlton, Guadalupe County assistant fire marshal.

The first call went out about 2:15 p.m. when dispatchers sent crews from the Lake Dunlap Volunteer Fire Department to the fire at a two-story house in the 700 block of Lakeside Pass. Firefighters arrived to find heavy flames showing throughout the house, Houlton said.

While Lake Dunlap VFD firefighters conducted a defensive attack of the flames from outside the structure, dispatchers sent for help.

Houlton said departments from Marion and McQueeney were sent to the fire. Then New Braunfels, Seguin and Schertz teams were called to it.

The large contingent of firefighters allowed them to rotate in and out of the fight to help prevent any first responders falling victim to heat-related illness or injury, Houlton said.

“In fighting this fire, heat definitely played a role,” he said. “That’s why we have so many departments here.”

Schertz EMS took the sole occupant of the home at the time of the fire to Christus Santa Rosa Hospital-New Braunfels for treatment, Houlton said.

Randy Wilson lives across the street from the house that burned. He was not home when the blaze erupted but came home to find fire crews battling and the home’s occupant standing outside, Wilson said.

He and the victim talked before the man was loaded into an ambulance for the trip to New Braunfels, Wilson said.

The man, who lives in the house with his adult son, was alone at the time the fire broke out. He told his neighbor what happened, Wilson said.

“He said he heard a pop, went in where the electrical stuff was and it was smoking,” Wilson said. “He turned off the electricity, which I think was a good idea.”

The man went back to the area where he saw smoke and this time saw flames, the neighbor reported being told. The resident then tried using a fire extinguisher to put out the flames, to no avail.

Fire officials were unsure of a cause or place of origin for the fire, Houlton said, as they continued dousing the flames. As of about 4 p.m. Tuesday, representatives of the fire marshals office had not begun to investigate.

That investigation was expected to begin once the fire was put down and hot spots were extinguished.

Dalondo Moultrie is the assistant managing editor of the Seguin Gazette. You can e-mail him at .

Recommended for you

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.