A small blaze shuttered the doors of a local restaurant on Saturday evening.
A fire started in the kitchen of the Sonic Drive-In, located in the 900 block of East Kingsbury Street, forcing employees and patrons to flee, Seguin Fire Battalion Chief Frank Herrera said.
When firefighters got to the restaurant about 6 p.m. on Saturday, they found smoke coming from inside the business, Herrera said.
“We arrived on scene to find moderate smoke coming from the middle of the building on roof line,” he said. “The fire was isolated to a piece of equipment in the kitchen.”
Seguin Fire Marshal Greg Dreiss said the fire appeared to have started accidentally.
“During a routine cleaning a gas line became dislodge, igniting a fire,” he said.
No injuries were reported and all of the employees and patrons were able to evacuate the restaurant and property quickly, Herrera said.
The business’s fire suppression system kept the fire from spreading beyond the equipment, Seguin Fire Chief Dale Skinner said.
“This fire is a great example of why we require fire suppression systems,” he said. “It did it’s job in this case.”
The damage to the business was minimal, however, the remains closed until repairs can be made, Skinner said.
No injuries, everyone was out of the building by the time we arrived, and off the property, Herrera said.