No electricity, wrecked cars and downed trees were what remained after a storm blew through the area Sunday night.

A large storm that brought high winds, rain, thunder and lightning left many without power for several hours and area first responders busy.

“The city had a power outage due to the storm that came through at 8 p.m. which happened all throughout the city and affected about 778 people,” said Public Information Officer Jennifer Sourdellia. “The longest outage of the night lasted from 8:30 p.m. to 3 a.m.”

Seguin Police spokesperson Officer Tanya Brown said dispatch was inundated with calls, but very few were for emergency situations.

“We didn’t have any major accidents. I think part of that is because we were able to put that information out there early, we were able to get that info out at around 5 o’clock to let people know,” Brown said. “There’s an influx of calls in general because when the power goes out I think that the general population believes that they have to call the police department to inform them. Nobody was hurt but (there was an) increase in call volume from people wanting to let us know that either traffic signals were not working or their power went out.”

Brown advises residents to be judicious when calling the emergency lines.

“Don’t call dispatch to let them know your power is out because if something is wrong or something major happens like wrecks, a house fire, or you never know with storms, we need to be able to get people on dispatch so we can get those lines open for emergency calls,” she said. “The dispatchers are aware of the power and our job is to get people the help they need. When utilities go out like that it’s just got to run its course.”

Although the storm was fierce, only one accident was reported in the city limits, Brown said.

“We had one accident out on the interstate, and most likely that was caused because that water pulled up the grease and the oil on the highway when it starts raining,” she said. “People don’t slow down so that vehicle went off the highway into the median.”

Other calls included debris that was blown into the roadway blocking traffic.

The storm was brief, only lasting around 30 minutes according to National Weather Service Meteorologist Nick Hampshire. However, winds reached up to around 70 mph causing sporadic damage throughout the area.

“There were some trees uprooted and some minor roof damage,” Hampshire said.

The future forecast is looking bright for Seguin with minimal chances of rain the remainder of the week, Hampshire said.

“There’s a small chance of rain on Tuesday and Wednesday with a high chance of it heating back up for next weekend,” he said. “All the bad stuff is over, it’s just regular old rain chances now.”


Joe Martin is a staff writer for the Seguin Gazette. You can e-mail him at .

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.